French Culture/vintage French picnic baskets

I am suspecting that a particular design of picnic basket, from the 1800's, was French, but I don't know how to verify it. This wicker basket has a single large handle on the lid, and a loop-and-peg fastener on the front, which keeps the lid from swinging open when you pick it up. Do you know if this is a traditional French style, or what source I might refer to?

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for your question. It is a very specific question and I am not sure I can help.
I know which basket you are talking about, but I cannot say if it is French.
If you have a look on the famous painting Le déjeuner sur l'herbe, it is a simple basket.

You can have a look on the official website of the National Library
and see if there are some images representing a picnic (pique nique in French).

Also Wikipedia mention a book dealing with the history and the sociology of the picnic
Its title : Le pique-nique ou l’éloge d’un bonheur ordinaire
by Francine Barthe-Deloizy (dir.)
Editor : Bréal

I am sorry for not being more useful.

French Culture

I can answer questions about French culture, everyday life, travel help, and traditions

I am French and I've been an expert in French on since 2007.

I passe a A level specialized in languages and French literature. I passed a master in British literature (and attended linguistic classes in english linguistics).