French Horn/Buying used French Horn

Mr Jones:
I'm looking for a french horn that I can take to college. However, I need to know what I need to save for. I would really love to find a used instrument that was cared for well and has sustained it's sound. I looked through your previous answers. Unfortunately, I have not found what I was looking for in my price range. Is there any other approach you would suggest?
Thank you!

Hi, I presume you're looking for a double horn - but you don't say what your price range is. The bottom line for any kind of decent instrument would be around $750, if you're patient and lucky then you might well find something useful for that. I've advised one or two people who have ended up with King horns for about that much - one only paid $650.

Keep checking Ebay and any other secondhand listings such as craigslist. Unfortunately between now and Christmas tends to be the most expensive time to buy secondhand instruments. But as I say, be patient and something will pop up. If you want me to vet any individual horns send me the links directly - jonesthehorn "at" btinternet "dot" com, replace the bits in quotes with the usual symbols.

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK