French Horn/instrument change

I have been playing horn for 2 years and next semester I'm switching to trumpet but I want to eventually switch back to horn but will playing trumpet make it more difficult to play well when I switch back?  is it possible to be good at both of them?  I was considering using an adapter so I could continue to play on a horn mouth piece would that make the transition back to horn easier

Hi Jessica, I don't think you'll have a lot of success playing a trumpet with a horn mouthpiece, I've tried it and it sounds really rubbish... Look for a deepish trumpet mouthpiece that feels comfortable, a 3B (Bach or Giardinelli numbering) works ok for me. Better than the standard 7C.

I don't think you'll find it's too bad switching back to horn as you've already spent two years establishing a horn embouchure - you might have to work on your low register a bit.

In the long term the two aren't normally compatible - too much difference in embouchure and blowing methods. But everyone is different, so see how you get on.

Happy tootling

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK