French Horn/Model of Holton French Horn

I have a Holton French Horn, serial number 616781.  My parents bought it for me around 1988 and I was curious what model it was.  Can you tell from the serial number?

Hi, a lot of Holtons have the model number on the mouthpipe but I guess yours doesn't...

You can't tell the model from the serial number, but if you send a photo or two I can give you an idea. Either attach them to a follow-up question or e-mail me directly at jonesthehorn "at" btinternet "dot" com  (replace the bits in quotes with the usual symbols...)

Alternatively you can deduce from the following:

Yellow brass horns are either H378,H178 or H180
Nickel silver are H379, H177, H179
Red brass bell and yellow body H181

Intermediate models H378 & 379 don't have a removable F horn slide on the front, sticking up from the thumb rotor. All Farkas pro models have a removable slide there.

You can only tell H178 & H180, H177 & H179 apart by the bell throat size, H177 & H178 are medium, H179 & H180 very large.

Hope this helps

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK