French Horn/Purchasing Dilemma

QUESTION: I have recently decided to purchase a French Horn rather than renting and had my heart set on a Holton H179 but when I went to order it at a local shop it has been placed on a pretty far out back order so we ordered a Holton H189 with a small scratch at a discounted rate. That horn should be in for me to try next week. However, I came across a Holton H179 on Craigslist and have been speaking with the seller. It is 11 years old and the rotors need to be oiled and it appears the slides are stuck. I know this are simple problems that can be fixed with a cleaning, but I can not tell from the images if the soldering is holding up or if there are any dents. The horn is also a 5 hour drive from where I am. Do you think it would be worthwhile to check out? It would save me about 1500. I am most concerned with the age of the horn and buying it used. Are there any standards when it comes to buying a used french horn that I should be aware of? Thanks!

ANSWER: Hi, 11 years is fairly young in horn terms, unless it's really been badly treated or heavily used then the secondhand one will have plenty of life left in it. A bit of tlc and maybe a visit to a repairman to unstick some slides (althoguh you may manage to free them some persistence and manipulation) and you'll have a good horn. Holtons are normally not too prone too solder joints coming apart, and the H179, being a nickel-silver horn, doesn't dent easily either. So I can't really see a problem with the secondhand one. What exactly is the price?

QUESTION: The new, Holton H189 has been reduced to 4k and the used Holton h179 is 2500, but a five hour drive away. She is offering it with mouth piece and a standard mute as well as a hand guard. Thoughts? Thanks!

Well, $2500 is maybe a bit overpriced for a horn with work needed. And the H189 is meant to be a superior instrument to the H179 - I haven't played one but it's had a redesign (in collaboration with the legendary Ethel Merker) in a similar way to my H104 (Tuckwell model) and that's far far better than the comparable H181. So if you have the $4000, I'd go for the H189. Certainly go and try it - I expect you'll come away $4000 poorer but happy...

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK