French Horn/what do you think about this horn

Question
Hi AJ, appreciate your advice. I called ebay about that holton 378, and by the time I looked up the item number, it was sold! I just lost a bid on a yamaha567, and think i would rather use the buy it now option. Do you have any advice regarding this horn? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330845444407  what do you think about these horns in general, and the price? What is the main difference between a silver/nickel horn and a brass one? Thanks so much. Merry, happy holidays!

Answer
Hi, looks like I didn't quite make it in time for this one either as the listing has ended. I've not tried the H379 but the similar pro model H177 is a very nice horn and I'm sure the 379 is too.

There's a slight difference in sound quality between yellow brass and nickel-silver, but not a huge amount - nickel-silver is a harder metal than yellow brass so the resonance is slightly different. However, everyone makes their own sound - the difference between two different players playing the same horn is always much bigger than that between one player playing two different horns.

Generally I'm a big fan of Holtons, whether 378s or pro models, but the Yamaha 567 is also a nice horn. Yamahas do seem to command a premium price on Ebay though.

AJ

French Horn

Alan Jones