French Horn/martin busine single french horn

Question
QUESTION: I ran across a Martin Busine single french horn. It is the version that has a Pegasus in the symbol. I was told that it was pre 1900s just because of that. I guess I was wanting to know around what it was worth. It has been abused but I was told that the ones that had the Pegasus in the symbol and made in France on the piece where the mouthpiece is put in. So if You know any thing about it i would really appreciate it.

ANSWER: Hi, I think it's very unlikely that the horn is any older than 1950s or 1960s, although I could give you a more authoritative view if you posted some pictures. Either attach them to a follow-up or e-mail me direct at jonesthehorn "at" btinternet "dot" com  (replace the bits in quotes with the usual symbols...)

The general consensus seems to be that Martin Busine was a "stencil" brand, the different kinds of instruments were made by various manufacturers but there's not much likelihood of finding out who actually made it or when. Rather like the current situation with Chinese-manufactured "brands".

They were cheap instruments and sold via the Sears catalog. So while your horn may be a rarity, it's unlikely to be worth much as a playing instrument and isn't really a collector's item either. I'd still be interested to see some pictures though if you have time to take some and send them...

AJ

Martin bucine
Martin bucine  
made in Italy
made in Italy  
QUESTION: Ok I really do appreciate your help.

ANSWER: Can you take a couple of the whole horn as well?

AJ

front
front  

back
back  
QUESTION: These are the front and the back. The back has the two crooks it came with. It has the original mouthpiece that came with it as well.

Answer
OK, that looks recognisable... very similar instruments are sitting in school cupboards around the UK with "LaFleur" (a brand used by Boosey & Hawkes) or other retailers' names on, or sometimes with nothing. They were all made in northern Italy, near Milan, other better known brand names which you find on horns from this source are Anborg, Danor, Viking, York and Getzen.

Yours looks a bit older than some, but certainly postwar, I'd say 1950s if I had to narrow it down. There doesn't appear to be an archive on the web. but www.searsarchives.com has a list of libraries with microfilm catalog archives, so if you want to do some old-fashioned research (as opposed to the modern electronic kind) you could probably find out when this model was sold.

The shorter of the 2 slides is the F tuning slide and the one with an extra coil puts it into Eb.

AJ

French Horn

Alan Jones