French Horn/Jupiter Double French Horn - model??

I have a Jupiter double french horn that I purchased second hand a few years ago.  I am looking at selling it and wanted to know how to find out what model number it is.

Is there an easy way to figure this out as I have looked all over the horn itself and can't find anything besides the serial number (?).

Also, on a side note, I have picked up a Yamaha YHR-664 and wanted to know if this would be considered a good intermediate horn?

Hi, the easy question first, yes, the YHR-664 is a very good intermediate horn, most people agree it's a nicer-blowing instrument than its replacement, the YHR-567.

As for the Jupiter, until fairly recently there was only one model of Jupiter full double, I have a quite old one labelled SHR-852 and after that it became the JHR-852 and then the 852L.
If the model number is present it's on the mouthpipe.

They're all basically the same horn, Yellow brass, Geyer wrap with a very small diameter 4th rotor and fiddly plastic ball-and-socket linkages, built for large hands and at a pitch bordering on flat... There have been minor design modifications but essentially all are the same. The serial isn't readily traceable to date it, but if you attach a photo of horn and case and tell me the serial I can probably give you a rough idea.

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK