French Horn/Value of a Jupiter JHB 952, goldbrass

Sina JHB 952
Sina JHB 952  
Hi Alan,
I'm from Germany and I want to sell my Double Horn Jupiter JHB 952 in goldbrass.
It was a christmas present from my grandfather in 2001. Back then it was brandnew and list price was 7.300 DM (Deutsche Mark). I found out that the list price today maybe is 3.600 approx. 5000US$.
I have been playing it for 10 years very regularly before I fell in love with an old Alexander 107 :-)...
It works very well and has only some exterior signs of usage.

As it seems to be a very rare model I can't find any used ones for sale online. So maybe you can help me to evaluate the value of this french horn?

Thanks a lot!

Hi, as you say it's an unusual model, but it's only really the standard 852 in nicer metal with some pretty valve caps. I see it has the world's most bulky horn case as well  ;-)

How much you can sell it for depends on how quickly you want to sell and where you sell it, but the secondhand value of a 10-year-old Jupiter is unlikely to be more than about 1000. They're at the bottom end of the intermediate horn price range, they don't command anything like the price of a Yamaha 567 although the new prices are quite similar.

If selling it through a small ad (here is a good place to try) it might fetch a bit more than 1000, on Ebay less. It's a good step-up horn for a student and I would market it as such.

Hope this helps

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK