French Horn/Holton soloist french horn

QUESTION: I'm looking at buying a HNSOL200 double french horn but I can hardly find any information about them. Is this a good quality horn? Is it worth $1000?

ANSWER: Hi, the H200 is a descant horn, a specialist instrument in Bb and high F, used mainly by first horns to play very high baroque and classical repertoire. It's not an instrument you would normally buy as a general-purpose horn or for a student.

Holtons are always good horns and if the horn is in reasonable condititon it's certainly worth $1000, but I would question whether you really want this type of horn...

QUESTION: Is there a difference between HNSOL200 and H200? I'm pretty sure this isn't a descant horn.

Hi, I've looked at what I think is the ad
and looked at an advert for the same horn here

It was apparently a short-lived attempt at a model between the intermediate H378/379 and the pro Farkas models. It was a bit overpriced and didn't go down well, and was quickly withdrawn, there's absolutely no mention of it on the Conn-Selmer website.

It looks a bit like the H181 with the rose brass bell. Given that even a H378 is a nice blowing horn I dare say it's well worth $1000... at that price you can't go too far wrong.

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK