French Horn/Martin French Horn

Martin Horn
Martin Horn  
Hi, I have a horn that appears to be an antique.  It is tarnished and I have shined some areas to a sparkly silver.  It is marked The Martin Band-Inst CO, Elkhart - IND.  It has some filigree-style etching on the bell.  I know nothing about instruments, especially this one, so my description is lacking.  It's mouthpiece is missing, and one of the three keys/plungers (no idea what it's called)is missing.  There are several dents and it is doubtful whether they could all be corrected.  I want to get rid of it, and am wondering what a fair price would be.  I appreciate your input.  Thank you.

Hi, it's a marching French horn or mellophone rather than a true French horn, and probably dates from the 1920s or 1930s. This type of instrument is no longer used, and in its current condition it obviously wouldn't be playable anyway. There's no collector market in these instruments as many thousands of them were made and an awful lot are turning up in attics and so on.

So its only value is as a decorative object, and not being an antique dealer I don't know what it might fetch. The only clue I can offer is that I bought one in good playable condition, with it's original case, spare slide and mouthpiece about 7 or 8 years ago for $60. So even that wasn't worth a lot.

Sorry not to have better news....

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK