French Horn/Amati Kraslice F horn

I just got an Amati Kraslice single F horn from a family member.  There is no serial number or markings that I can find except for "Made in Czechoslovakia" on the neck and the number 43 imprinted on the underside of each key.  I was wondering if you could tell me anything about it and a ballpark possible value/range.  It was serviced into playing condition before I got it.  There are several small dents especially where it is held and the finish is not great.

Hi, it's a decent beginner's instrument, but single F horns aren't very popular in the uS at the moment, a lot of students start straight onto a double. Personally I think a single is a much better starting instrument. But not everybody agrees.

Value-wise it depends where you sell and who's buying. On Ebay, given it's not in great condition, it might not even fetch $100. If you're not in such a hurry to sell, a private ad or a music-school noticeboard might get you a bit more, but probably not over $200 in any case. And talking of cases, the type and condition of the case is also a factor when selling...

Hope this helps

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK