French Horn/Alexander double horn price

Hi my dad bought me a Alexander French horn 22 years ago and I think the horn was already 20 plus years old when he bought it! I played it for many years but stopped playing about 8 years ago. I am thinking about selling the instrument, can anyone tell me what such a instrument is worth?

Hi, it would depend what sort of condition it's in, and then on where you are selling it... Given that it's been played a fair amount over those 40 or so years, I can't imagine it's pristine. Old Alexes do carry a certain amount of premium over other makes, in the UK even an oldish example would probably be about 1500 - 1800. The US might also be a good place to advertise...  you could try here both to look at adverts and see what others are asking, and post it for free or a small donation.

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK