French Horn/Alexander double horn price

Question
Hi my dad bought me a Alexander French horn 22 years ago and I think the horn was already 20 plus years old when he bought it! I played it for many years but stopped playing about 8 years ago. I am thinking about selling the instrument, can anyone tell me what such a instrument is worth?

Answer
Hi, it would depend what sort of condition it's in, and then on where you are selling it... Given that it's been played a fair amount over those 40 or so years, I can't imagine it's pristine. Old Alexes do carry a certain amount of premium over other makes, in the UK even an oldish example would probably be about 1500 - 1800. The US might also be a good place to advertise...  you could try here  http://www.hornsociety.org/hornplayer-dot-net both to look at adverts and see what others are asking, and post it for free or a small donation.

French Horn

Alan Jones