French Horn/Reynolds Contempora FE03 french horn

Bill Bamberg wrote at 2014-04-16 20:17:31
I started my son on a Reynolds Contempora bass trombone in the fourth grade.  He now plays every brass except French horn.  Your horn is a medium size (bell throat)horn. I've started many kids on Pottag horns because they are an incredible value.  I started on a very small mouthpiece, a Bach 16 I recall because there were no teachers in Newport, RI.  My first teacher was in the Boston Symphony, and he switched me to a Bach 3.  For beginners I Start them on largest mouthpiece they are comfortable with.  If a Schilke 31B or C4 is too big I move down to a Bach 7 and then down to the Farkas MC.  The first lesson I teach is fundamental breath control. I have them imagine a birthday cake with 100 candles. Have him fill his lungs to the maximum, then meter the blowing to blow out all 100 candles.  I often add a paddle palm rest to take the weight off the pinky.  It also might help to move the leadpipe a bit and adjust paddle position for a smaller player.

Your son is really lucky to have such a fine instrument to play.

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK