French Horn/French horn

Question
My daughter has been playing French horn for 5-6 years and is heading to college in just over a year from now. We are looking for a professional model, what would you recommend? I found a $900. Schiller pro model and a musicwerks for 1400, both new and listed as professional. Are they junk? We need a double.

Answer
Hi, if it's new and under about $4000 then it is definitely not a professional standard horn. Whatever the manufacturers or retailers might tell you.

Budget for an ok pro model secondhand in good condition would be in the region of $1750-2500. New it's $4000 and up. There are some cheaper bargains in older horns if you're lucky and prepared to look around, but stick to the established US brands and avoid all the Chinese ones...

Happy to help some more if you come up with any specific horns for me to look at online.

Hope this helps

AJ

French Horn

Alan Jones