French Horn/H279 dating

Question
I have come across 2 H279s with serial numbers 624XXX and 654XXX and am having trouble determining their ages. Can you help? Also, would you have an estimate on their value in today's U.S. economy? Both are in outstanding condition with the single exception that one of them has had the plating worn through on the keys.

Thanks in advance,

BC

Answer
Hi, having bought a lot of Holtons for pupils over the years, I've got a rough idea of the serial chronology since 1980 when the published lists stop. I would estimate 624xxx to be from about 1992 and 654xxx from 1997.

As far as value goes, large bore models such as the 179/279 are not as popular as the medium bore 177/178, but they should fetch somewhere in the $1200-$2000 range, all depending on where and to whom you're selling.

If you're not in a hurry try the free classifieds here http://www.hornsociety.org/free-classifieds

Hope this helps

AJ

French Horn

Alan Jones