French Horn/French Horn

Hi Alan, It's me again. I'm still out there watching for the good deal on a double French Horn.

There are a couple listed right now. Older ones. I was wondering what your thoughts are on these two.

And this one. This one was up once, with no takers. It's been relisted.

I was just wondering about these. Since they are older models. What is their value, and quality.

Thank you.

Hello, sorry for the delay in replying, been away for a week... but luckily I didn't miss anything worthwhile. I wouldn't really consider the old H77, if you're paying that much you don't really want a very well-used 50-year-old horn however good the restoration. As it has various patches it's obviously been played a lot, maybe if 40 of its 50 years had been spent in a loft it would be a different story.

And the Amati, not in the same class as any of the horns we've been discussing. It's a very heavy Czech-made horn, not very free-blowing and generally not well in tune, which shouldn't be going for any more than $600, and even at that price level I think there are better alternatives.

Keep hunting...

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK