French Horn/alex mainz fr horn (no.461)

QUESTION: hi!   i am looking for some help please regarding a french horn inherited from my dad.  it is around 50 yrs old.  it is a duplicate of a horn used by dennis brain.  the "stamp" on the horn is such : GEBR alexander mainz, made in west Germany, No 461. barry tuckwell was a friend of my father's. even though he didn't own an alexander horn, after having played my dad's he commented how special the horn was. i would like to sell this horn for a fair price.  i do not want to under or over charge a prospective buyer.  the horn is in good condition, no tarnishing, and has been stored in a spare bedroom with little temperature fluctuation.  i did try to contact the alexander mainz horn company but they have not been able to help me.  i would appreciate any help / information you can give me.  thank you!

ANSWER: Hi, for me to give you an approximate idea you might need to send a picture or two, I need to know what model it is. The 461 must be a serial or workshop number but with Alexanders that's no clue as to the model or the age. Take a few nice photos and I can make some suggestions - it might be useful to know where you are contemplating selling it as well...

French Horn
French Horn  

French Horn
French Horn  
QUESTION: Here are two photos of the horn.

OK, so it's a standard Model 103 F/Bb full double horn. Not quite what Dennis Brain used - he had a specially adapted Model 90 Bb single. But a very nice horn and it looks in lovely condition. If it's a 1960s model and hasn't been too heavily used in its lifetime then it should be worth something in the region of $3000-4000. It's a bit like a classic car, after a while they appreciate in value provided you don't drive them too much...

Probably the best way to sell it for a guaranteed good price would be via the classifieds at .

Or if you like excitement you can stick it on Ebay and see what kind of bidding war develops... there are quite a few enthusiasts for these horns in the US and elsewhere. You might get more than you think. I wouldn't start the auction at less than $3500 though.

Hope this helps

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK