French Horn/Double French Horn M.Jiracek & sons model 106 Pr

Question
Hi, take a look at the french horn in this listing:

http://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/msg/4643920381.html

What can you tell me about this horn? Is it a good brand/model? Is it good for professional use, or as a gigging backup for the more advanced/professional player?

Also how about the price? Is it fair, or should I aim for lower?

Thanks.

Answer
Hi, Jiracek horns are hand made in a workshop led by a craftsman who spent various decades building Lidl horns. I've got a Jiracek F alto single, it's a fantastic little horn albeit with slightly idiosyncratic tuning...

Jiracek is mainly known over here for hand horns, which are very good, but they've also made various types of doubles. All hand made instruments (even Alexanders) are variable, each one has it's quirks, so I would definitely try to blow it before buying. But potentially it's quite a good bargain. It would probably have cost something like $4000 new, and it looks in very good condition. If it was me I would definitely investigate.

AJ

French Horn

Alan Jones