French Horn/FE Olds & Son Double French Horn

Question
Double French Horn
Double French Horn  
Can you tell me what an appropriate price range would be for this instrument. The serial number is 835249. It is in fair condition, a couple of dents and sounds good. See pictures.

Thanks.

Answer
Looks quite nice condition for a horn made in 1973. The other important question is what the valve compression is like. I can't really say exactly what it might fetch, there aren't a whole lot of Olds horns around, so not much to compare directly, although it's a very similar instrument to the Conn 6D.

It also depend where you're selling. Generally the Olds brand is a bit undervalued. I would guess on Ebay it might only fetch $600-750, in a private sale you might get $1000 if you're lucky. It's more an instrument for a student than a professional. If you're not in a hurry to sell try here http://www.hornsociety.org/free-classifieds/1-horns

Hope this helps

AJ

French Horn

Alan Jones