French Horn/alexander french horn

Hi I have been given a 'Gebr Alexander Mainz' 'full double' french horn (made in w-germany) from an elderly german woman who heard my 9 yr old son played french horn and gave it to him. It looks like it's in pretty decent shape with a few dents and some age/wear to the finish. The valves are sticky and the cork (?) looks like it is a bit dry rotted or in need of replacement. I know NOTHING about horns and am wondering if it would be worth the investment to get this thing back in good working order. Basically I dont want to spend more than it's worth to fix it up so if I had a general idea of what I've got that would be a valuable piece of information indeed. Thanks!

Well you lucky person! Alexanders are some of the best horns around, if it's a nice example and has been treated well then it is worth in the region of $3000... so do spend a bit on it and have it nicely fixed. And then tell your son to look after it well!

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK