French Horn/F.E. Olds&Sons Double French Horn

Question
HI Alan,

I have a 10 year old who is in his first year of playing the french horn and we would like to buy one vs. renting but we know little about french horns. Sounds like a double is better if we can find one. Wanted your opinion on this F.E. we found on ebay and what french horns you recommend for a young beginner. Thanks so much. Your help is much appreciated!

Cori

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321899782106?item=321899782106&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=tru

Answer
Hi, looks like the Olds sold, someone got a good bargain... A double horn has a longer future and I think starting on one is pretty much the norm in the US. Anything from recognised makers like King, Conn, Olds, Holton is worth considering, do feel free to run anything you find past me and I can advise on a horn by horn basis. It is often possible to spend less than $1000 if you don't mind an older horn, but you might need to be patient until the right thing comes up. More money obviously makes the job easier.

Hope this helps...

AJ

French Horn

Alan Jones