French Horn/Caravelle French horn

Question
Hi Alan,

I found this french horn on craigslist. I am not familiar with the brand. I was wondering if you knew anything about Caravelle french horns? The prices seems really low for a double french horn and I was curious if there was a reason or if you recommend this a good buy. Thanks for your help!

Cori

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/msg/5311582629.html

Answer
Hi, it's a fairly low quality compensating double horn made in Italy, but marketed in the US in the 1970s or 1980s by the DEG (Donald E Getzen) company. Compensating doubles are rare in the US, used more here in Europe as a step up from a single if a child isn't big enough to handle a full double. They gain by being lighter but have disadvantages in response or tuning. And this particular model also has a very awkward hand hold and thumb valve position. So no, I don't recommend it...

AJ

French Horn

Alan Jones