French Horn/Good buy

Question
I wrote before and told you about a Holton horn that has detachable bell that was for sale on ebay and I wanted to know what is a good price for this one. I like the fact of det bell, so my son can travel easier with it. Is silver better than brass? What I read is depends on the size of the neck. anyways here's the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holton-Farkas-H277-Silver-Detachable-Bell-Double-Bb-F-Fr

Thank you
Denise

Answer
Hi, the Holton H277 is a very good horn and this one looks like a good example. Next on my list would be the other Holton but it's the same price and a bit less good a horn, and older. The Jupiter I wouldn't bother with, nor the Conn which is a bit too old.

As I said, nickel-silver has a slightly different tone quality to other metals but it's quite subjective, and there's no better or worse, just different.

I would offer $2400 for the H277 and snap it up quickly before anyone else does...

AJ

French Horn

Alan Jones