French Horn/Holton LBH 190

model number
model number  

serial number
serial number  
Here are some more pictures of the Holton I am asking about

Thanks. So the evidence stacks up like this:

case: typical 1970s-early 1980s, I call this the carpet case, with the annoyingly placed handle so the bottom corner drags on the floor...

serial: if you hadn't said it was bought in 1983 I would have said 1985 but definitely early eighties

model: my conclusion would be a large bore 190. 190s weren't the highest-volume production anyway, this might have been a limited run or a one-off. All other Holtons are stamped just H and the model number. So my conclusion is that the LB stands for either large bore or large bell - referring to the bell throat. If you were able to compare it to another horn, it would be a similar bell to a Conn 8D.

Anyway, as such it's probably a very nice horn, I've never played (or even seen) a Geyer-wrap Holton, but all professional models from this period are pretty good.

I think that's all the use I can be. In the state it's in something around S1000-$1200 might be a fair price, although if you put it on Ebay it might fetch more as it's unusual...

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK