French Horn/Double French Horn buying

Hi Alan!

I'm back again.  I found an ad for a King Double Horn.  I don't know much about the models though.  I think I recall seeing 1159, maybe 1160's for Kings for sale.  This horn is a 2259.  Can you take a look at the link and educate me on King's?  Would this be a good deal for our son?  For the money, it seems like a much nicer horn than the disassembled Conn 6D that we've been patiently waiting to be fixed for six months.

Here's the link:

Thanks again!

Hi, I think you're right... it's a 1980's horn, looks nice!

I'm not totally clear on the whole King model number thing either, there are also Beethoven-related names such as "Fidelio" and "Eroica", I know the Eroica is a larger bore horn which was intended as a competitior to the Conn 8D. But these 1159/1160/2259/whatever (I think the differences are just different brass, screw bell or not, the basic model seems to always be the same) are good, under-appreciated horns. A King is definitely as good as a Conn 6D. It looks a good buy. Certainly a bit smarter than the Conn in the workshop.

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK