French Horn/French Horn buying

Here are a couple more that I have seen on Ebay, that are of interest to us, for comparison to the pictures I've sent:

I don't know anything about the Reynolds brand though.

And here's a Conn:

The pictures I sent you earlier, the guy is asking $695 for that horn to give you something to compare it to the other ones I've listed.

Thank you so much Alan.

Ah, I see you've just answered the question of how much. That's a very good price for any kind of functioning US-made double horn.

Now for the others:
H178 - good if you can cope with the looks, it's a pro model. I suspect it might end up in the $1500 range or higher though. Anything less would be a good buy. I think this guy is doing good work as well, I've seen a lot of his listings. But the next two look better for your purposes.

H378 - seems to be missing its valve caps and have at least one stuck valve - but you can order new caps, not more than $20 each, and your repairman can sort the valves. No other visible issues. And it's nice and shiny! A steal at the Buy it now price.

next H378 - you get what you pay for here. Very good price for a very good condition horn.

Reynolds - not really. Too large bore for a beginner.

Conn 6D - ok but if spending this much I would pay $150 more for the nicer of the H378s.

So I would either:

Go for the cheapest option, the $695 Conn

spend $1000 on the Holton, another $150 or so to sort it, and you've got a nice shiny H378 for a really cheap price. Also has its original case.

splash on the other H378 and not have to do anything.

Which of these you choose I leave to you! But if it's either of the Holtons act fast!

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK