French Horn/French Horn buying

So, Hi Alan!

I've come across another King Double Horn. It is not as nice as the one that got away a couple of weeks ago, but I think this might work.  Could you please take a look and tell us what you think?  Thanks!  Also, so long as I am asking, how do you compare horns that screw off--the bells, to bells that are in one piece?  Do you have a preference?  Why?

Hi, it looks fine apart from the lacquer on the  bell, and obviously that's just a cosmetic flaw. Not really fixable but can be lived with.

It's probably quite an old instrument, but as the seller says these Kings are long-lasting and play very well. And often they go quite cheaply, hopefully you read this in the next 10 hours and get a bid in. The case is an old Conn one by the looks of it, should be pretty sturdy, you would just need to get a mouthpiece as it doesn't have one.

The cheapest I know of one of my correspondents getting a King was $650, but anything up to about $850 would be an ok price.

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK