French Horn/French Horn buying

So, I've been checking out Ebay today, as the auction on that King horn closes out.  And I found a few others, it's hard to decide, and it's hard to know what different horns may go for.  I'm going to send you a few links and ask you to comment on them.  One is a Holton Model I've never heard of, a HNSOL200 Performance Double French horn.  I've never seen anything like this model # listed, and I don't know what the difference is between this 200 model and say the H378 or H379 models, or H177, or H178 models.

Here's that link:

Not a bad price, but we are watching the dollars.  I just don't know the model, if it would be something good for our son or not.  Then, there's this:

In looking at the pictures and the description, it appears to be a H378 in very good condition.

Then, I also found this one, which is an auction and will likely go for much more than the current bid:

I am just wondering what you think of these listings?

Thanks so much Alan!

Hi, the first Holton is basically a 378, they had a few marketing experiments in the early 2000s and this was one. It's a 378 with a different number and a fancy nameplate on the bell.

At the price this is very good value, the Paypal credit offer of 6 months with no interest sounds attractive if it's true...

The next 378 is also ok but $500 more for basically the same sort of age & condition.

The 379 is just the Nickel-silver version of the 378 so also a goodchoice . Unlikely to go under $1500.

Any of these would probably be a better investment than the King if they're affordable. They're all comparable horns and as you know I think the Holtons are the best thing to have. But then the King might be a lot cheaper...

Tricky, isn't it? At this point I'd say the first Holton would be my choice.

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK