French Horn/listing the french horn

about a month ago i asked you a few questions about a french horn which i found at my grandparents house.
You said it was made by the Joseph Lidle Company but wasnt sure what the BM sign on it was.
i was hoping to list the item for sale on ebay,if its not to much trouble please could you tell me what to list it as, and what price i should set.
furthermore it is a bit dented and quite tarnished.
thank you very much
kind regard jake

Hi, it's a full double horn in F/Bb, describe it as fully as you can and take some photos, then see what goes... It will help if you say whether the valves and slides move (there are 9 tuning slides on that horn!) and whether you can see any loose solder joints, where and how big the dents are. If there's a case or mouthpiece describe those too.

Basically I doubt if it will fetch more than 200 but you never know, decide what your minimum is and start it there. A start at 150 might well attract some interest. If it doesn't sell straight away you can always relist it.

Also assess the postage options and quote a price, a well-packed horn weighs about 7 kilos if that's helpful. Read the small print of the courier companies, for instance Hermes don't insure musical instruments, nor do some of the other cheap services. I tend to use Interlink Express which will be about 26.

Good luck, I'll look out for your listing...

French Horn

Alan Jones

Can answer just about anything on playing the horn, repertoire, buying instruments, repairs, care and maintenance

25 years of professional playing and teaching in the UK