French Horn/Authenticity of Holton Horn

Question
The Horn
The Horn  

The Horn
The Horn  
I'm considering buying a French Horn from a neighbor. It's in a Holton case, but there is nothing on the horn itself suggesting it's really a Holton. He inherited it and doesn't know. The Serial number is 780916. I'm hoping you can help me figure out if it's worth buying. It's in great condition.

Answer

If the serial is on the bottom of the 3rd valve casing, that's a point in its favour. But that serial would make it a fairly recent horn. It would normally have some marking, maybe on the leadpipe rather than  the bell. I can't really tell enough from the pictures about other characteristic features, as they're not sharp enough. If you could take better close-ups of the valve mechanisms, the leadpipe, anything else, I could maybe offer a more definite opinion.

How much does he want?

AJ

French Horn

Alan Jones