French Horn/Atkinson Erfurt NN508

Question
Sir,

Do you have any information about the Atkinson Erfurt NN508?

Thank you for your time,

Matt

Answer
Hi Matt,

Firstly I would have to say that I've never been in the same room as an Atkinson horn... but have gleaned some info from various sources. They're a Californian maker of very expensive, hand-made horns, and also some more reasonably-priced models which are assembled in California, but with more pre-made parts and a cheaper construction. This one is basically a Conn 8D-style horn, big bell, Kruspe wrap and made of nickel-silver, and is probably an ok instrument if that's what you're looking for. It retailed originally around $4000-5000, the lower end of the Atkinson range. It's hard to tell exactly what the price was as it's not a current model. If you're looking at buying one, all I can say is, try it first! There's not enough information out there to make a firm recommendation, or otherwise.

AJ

French Horn

Alan Jones