French Language/Phrase Translation Assistance

Question
Hello,

I am having difficulty with understanding the following phrase: "d'ores et déjà". I understand deja, meaning already, but do not see how the entire phrase also means already, according to online dictionaries.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Albert.

Answer
Hello Albert,

D'ores et déjà" means already. It is an expression (probably from an old form of French). D'ores does not exist on its own but it comes from the Latin "hora" meaning now. There is no real difference between déjà and d'ores et déjà but the expression "D'ores et déjà" emphasizes the combination of "now" and "already".

I hope this helps

Cheers

Caro

French Language

Caro