French Language/des vieilles gens

Once again while reading this morning I was confronted with the fact that the French word "gens" takes certain adjectives in the feminine, and once again I was surprised. It then occurred to me that the following sentence that I made up, as strange as it seems, might be correct. Please confirm.

Toutes les vieilles gens assistaient à la réunion, mais ils n’étaient pas tous des gens heureux.

Hi Mike,

Arg... Gens is a very special noun.

Generally "gens" with an adjective is feminine. In France, in my town for instance there is a road named "rue des bonnes gens". Bonnes = feminine.

But There are some exceptions. I suggest you should read this :
It is in French, but you may understand it. If not feel free to ask. You will understand why I am reluctant to give you the detail of the exceptions :)

I hope this helps

French Language

Hello! I'm a French native speaker living in France. If you need someone to proof-read your translations and essays or need help on French grammar, pronounciation, French traditions, or cultural aspects do not hesitate to contact me, I'd be glad to help you. I'm in the Top 50 experts of the year in 2011 and 2012. Tank you dear questionners!

French is my first language (mother tongue). I studied linguistics when I was at university.

I passed a master of British literature