French Language/Direct/Indirect Object Pronouns

Bonjour Alex:

J'ai une question.  I understand direct object and indirect object pronouns but I apparently did not learn the rule about what to use if the noun is in the indefinite form.  

ie:  Tu vois Jean?  Oui, je le vois.  (Direct object)
    Tu as le stylo?  Oui, je l'ai.   (Direct object)

Vous parlez votre frre? Oui, je lui parle. (Indirect obj)

What happens when if the nous is indefinite?

ie:  J'ai une bicyclette.  Tu cherches un livre?  
    Both of the above sentences have a direct object in them
    but I don't know what to use.

Aidez-moi, s'il vous plit!

Dear Suzanne,

In these examples, you would use the adverbial pronoun "en".  J'en ai une (for bicyclette).  Tu en cherches un (for livre).

For more information on when to use "en" in cases like these, please see

I hope this helps.

Alex D

French Language

I can answer questions relating to grammar, spelling, vocabulary, but not pronunciation. Pronunciation is too difficult to write out to be meaningful. If you are looking to learn the accent of the language, you must hear the language - and there are many websites that allow you to listen to native speakers.

I grew up in a French speaking family. My father is French-Canadian born. I majored in Languages at the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth and Classics at Roger Williams University. In both cases my concentration was on the French language.

University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth Roger Williams University