French Language/french translation

Question
Hello there Caro!

1.  "connais" le sentiment - I thought connais is to know a place or someone! I would think the feeling would take (savoir)?
Can you explain, please.

2.  Do you have any hints as to when I am suppose to use "of" (de)something versus "of the" (du or de la) something.
Examples:  (a) trop mange "de" nourriture
(b)  tranches "de" porc" vs. (c) la presentation "du" (of the)
   confit de canard.

3.  I don't get "decidement" in the following.  "J'ai perdu la e'mail que a precdé ceci.  You worte as we say in French "decidement.  I didn't understand. What do you mean by decidement?

4.  AFFECTATION:  -  i THINK YOU PRIORLY GAVE ME THE FRENCH WORD FOR AFFECTATION BUT i CAN'T FIND IN MY KEEP FOREVER NOTES. HAVE PITY ON ME.  How would I say "have pity on me in French?"
The word equals pretense, pretension, someone trying to be someone they are not. So my dear, what would the translation be.

5.  Ca se dit - what does it mean?

Oh, thank you for all you do to help me and others.  You are a very precious soul.

gros bisous,
Joan

Answer
Hi again,

CONNAITRE IS OK IN THIS SENTENCE.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SAVOIR AND CONNAITRE IS TRICKY FOR AN ENGLISH SPEAKER.
HERE IS A LINK THAT MAY BE USEFUL :
http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a/savoirconnaitre.htm

SAVOIR IN GENERALLY LINKED WITH KNOWLEDGE.

confit de canard.
=> WELL... HAVE A LOOK THERE FIRST :
http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a/de-vs-du-de-la-des.htm
IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO EXPLAIN.

IT MEANS REALLY! TRULY! OR AGAIN! YOU'RE NOT LUCKY WITH YOUR NOTES

+> AFFECTATION = FAIRE DES MANIèRE / MANQUER DE NATUREL/ ÊTRE IMBU DE SOI-MÊME.
HAVE PITY ON ME : AIE PITIé DE MOI

5.  Ca se dit - what does it mean?
IT MEANS THAT EVEN THOUGH YOU DO NOT FIND IT IN A DICTIONARY, SOME SPEAKER USE THIS WORD OR EXPRESSION (LTERALY : IT CAN BE SAID)

CHEERS

CARO

French Language

Caro