French Language/ainsi que

Question
Dear Alex,

I hope this question doesn't sound too silly, but the nuance of the words “ainsi que” are driving me crazy!

This is the context:  I recently received an email from a French friend whom I have not seen in a while.  A bunch of us are getting together next week, but in his email he said “Il me ferait plaisir de te revoir ainsi que notre amie Samantha qui.....who will also be there”.
Can you tell me if he is saying that he will enjoy seeing her just as much as me, and what ainsi que means here.  I don't know why he even mentioned her.

Answer
Dear Kathy,

Your translation is correct.  I also read this as him saying that he will be pleased to see you again as well as Samantha.  Ainsi que can mean as well as (meaning also or too), just as, or like, depending on context.  He will be pleased to see you again just as he will be pleased to see Samantha again.  He will be pleased to see you again like when he sees Samantha again.  He will be pleased to see you again and he will be pleased to see Samantha again as well.

I hope this helps.

Alex D

French Language

Alex