French Language/use of suffix "quet"

I am curious about the family name "Chicquet."  I am guessingv that "chic" means "smart or stylish" and "quet" in this context may refer to "a man who is".   (not a woman "quette")  Am I overthinking this, or is this a reasonable interpretation?      I would appreciate an email response if possible.  Thanks!

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your question.
Your explanation may be convincing, but looking in a historical dictionary, the word "chic" appeared during the 19th century, that is to say long after the use of surnames.

I had a look on a genealogy website (geneanet). Chicquet is a variation of the name Chiquet. Here is what is said :

Le nom est surtout porté dans l'Indre-et-Loire et le Finistère (également 41, 62). Ce devrait être le surnom d'un homme petit (racine onomatopéique "tchik" évoquant l'idée de petitesse, idée que l'on retrouve dans l'expression "chiquet à chiquet" = petit à petit, utilisée autrefois en Anjou et dans le Berry)."

In English :
The name chiquet is found on Indre et Loire and Finistère(these are French departments). It designates a little man (tchik meant little, as we find it in the expression chiquet à chiquet = little by little, an expression formerly used in Anjour and Berry).

I hope this helps

French Language

Hello! I'm a French native speaker living in France. If you need someone to proof-read your translations and essays or need help on French grammar, pronounciation, French traditions, or cultural aspects do not hesitate to contact me, I'd be glad to help you. I'm in the Top 50 experts of the year in 2011 and 2012. Tank you dear questionners!

French is my first language (mother tongue). I studied linguistics when I was at university.

I passed a master of British literature