French Language/Négation de l'infinitif

I was workng a couple of days ago on Alter Ego 3 and there was something that attracted my attention:

When I was studyinf french at Alliance Française here in my country, my teacher used to say that in order to deny a verb when in infintive tense, we should do it in this way "Ne Pas (Avoir) " for exemple...
And the book is written in this way : N'avoir pas

Who is wrong, my teacher or the book?

Merci beaucoup in advence

Both are correct but the 2 expressions have diferent meaning :

Your teacher is right when he /she  says   "Ne pas avoir d'amis est difficile"
and the book says

N'avoir pas will always be used with a verb and it is called the "past infinitive"
Je pense ne pas avoir compris la phrase.
I think i didn't understand the sentence

I really hope I answered your question and I am sorry for the delay , my e-mail account was crazy!

Bonne chance!

French Language

Denise Pepin

I can answer questions about French grammar, vocabulary, phonetics, and French Canadian culture.

I was born in Quebec, my mother tongue is French, and I have been a French as a foreign language teacher for 30 years.

Red Cross (Croix Rouge canadienne / et québécoise Language Research Development Group (as a french tutor)

Immortal Verses

B.A. in Linguistics Master Degree in Education Master Degree in e-learning Diploma de estudios hispánicos, Barcelona, Spain

Silver Prize ( Lauréate des Amériques -- International competition hold by the TV5 consortium (best pedagogical idea for a TV script in order to learn French)

Federal Judges (Canada) Members of the Canadian Federal Government (managers, gestion, ...) that have to learn French as a second language