Freshwater Aquarium/Hardness, alkalinity, pH, and my plecostomus

Dwaine wrote at 2013-01-05 17:58:30
Hello, I have had Kio and crayfish die (near the same time, in two different tanks), slowly one at a time over a 1 week span. They were 8 months old at that time. The pet store told me it was ammonia, so I purchased a ammonia meter and started over again. This next set lasted about 6 months, and then again the same symptoms (floating and swimming on their sides and erratically) and again they started dying off 1 at a time again. I took the water sample into the pet store and they sampled the water. The ph was the only thing high, and this is what they determined was the problem. I am on a well not city water, and the ph is always high. I am now trying to reduce the ph and alkalinity and see what happens ( I had 1 fish survive this round, and will see if I can get to survive through the ph lowering process before I add more). I searched the net, and the info I found stated high ph is not that bad for Kio, but the ph is the only thing that is high in my water. I am adding drift wood and ph reducer - I will keep you posted on the outcome.

(Can't get a confirmed diagnose)Dwaine.

Freshwater Aquarium

I can answer all questions related to freshwater aquariums. Fish care, fish behavior, feeding, and diseases are my specialty. To be specific, I am most familiar (though I am familiar with most species) with Livebearers, Tetras, Barbs, Danios, Loaches, Goldfish, Angelfish (freshwater), Catfish (corydoras, plecos, etc.), Bettas, shrimp, and aquatic snails. I can help out with questions regarding new tank setups, the cycling process (nitrogen cycle), acclimation of fish, and general care. I can also answer questions regarding many species of freshwater plants, including fish compatibility with plants. Additionally, I can lend a hand when it comes to aquarium support equipment questions, such as those regarding filters, heaters, and thermometers. Questions about aquarium water conditioners and products are also accepted. I will try to answer your question to the best of my abilities, and if I do not know an answer, I will do my best to find out. I do not have much experience in saltwater aquariums, advanced breeding techniques, or pressurized CO2 systems, so I cannot answer any such questions. Best wishes, and good luck to your fish!

I have kept freshwater fish tanks for many years, and I am experienced with a variety of different freshwater species and invertebrates, such as Tetras, Barbs, Danios, Livebearers, Goldfish, Bettas, Catfish, Shrimp, and Snails. I am very familiar with aquarium products and equipment. What makes a good home for tropical fish? Well, all tropical fish, like guppies and Bettas, require filters, heaters, and a good-sized tank. Healthy fish should be actively swimming and feeding, with defined fins and clear eyes. Take a random check of some of your fish daily, to make sure they're thriving!

I own a collection of aquarium-related books and magazines, and have read all about, and I am experienced in, many aspects of humane and proper fishkeeping. Through these books and other articles, from reliable internet sources, and from personal experience with fish, I have a thorough knowledge of freshwater aquariums, fish, and freshwater plant species.