Freshwater Aquarium/Neon Tetras Dying

Michael Noah wrote at 2015-02-20 14:34:02
Hi Ian,

I've had neon tetras and cardinals for years the symptoms you observed are classic symptoms of water chlorination. You can get an anti chlorine formula from any pet store and you can also try a water softener.  In my experience let the water stay like that for 2 days after you administer the formula before you introduce your fish. As far as guppies are concerned they are usually not bothered by such changes.  

Hope this helps :)

Freshwater Aquarium

Susan Fields

I own and maintain a large number of tanks with many various tropical fish species. During my fishkeeping past I have learned a lot of the myths and truths about tropical fish care. Currently I keep a wide range of species and have a lot of experience in; Severum cichlids, gouramis, platies, goldfish, bettas, tetras, paradise fish, Angelfish, Corydoras catfish, and many others as well as a couple of years with brackish water. If you have a question on tropical fish keeping I`ll be sure to answer it in the simplest way I can, and if I don`t know the answer, I`ll research the answer for you. Happy fish keeping!

I have experience in setting up fish tanks, what to feed certain species, compatible species in my experience, cleaning the tank,
and all around tropical fish care. I also have learned the truth of many of the myths of tropical fish keeping in the past.
Happy fishkeeping!