Freshwater Aquarium/Startup Cycling

I am setting up a new 50 gallon fresh water tank. I would like to cycle the tank without starter fish. Can I use live plants and ammonia at the same time to speed up the process? If so, approx. how many plants and to what concentration do I add the ammonia? Do I keep the light on 24/7?

Thank you

There is no way to speed up the cycle process. There is no need to add ammonia in the tank because when you seed the aquarium, it will bring the ammonia. We don't want you to have over the top ammonia levels, because it will be much harder to get rid of. The cycle process will take at least 6 weeks, and letting it do it on its own, with the seeding, will be much better for your filter and fish.

Freshwater Aquarium

Jaymie Johnson

I can answer question regarding, raising, breeding, feeding and the general upkeep of Betta fish. I can answer general questions about isolating a disease and the treatment needed to help your Betta. I am knowledgeable in fresh water tanks and can answer any question regarding them. I cannot answer questions about salt water tanks.

I have had fresh water aquariums for most of my life, including the 23 years I served in the Marine Corps. I have been raising Betta's for some time now, and have ventured into breeding a few years back. I currently own 5 males and 4 females and I have about 200 almost 3 week old fry. I make my own filters and I have tried almost all the food on the market for fry and I know what has worked for me and what has not worked.

I do not have Betta related educational credentials, but I have educated myself in Betta care. I have read quite a few books and articles from both the internet and ones that I have purchased. I consider myself well educated in Betta care.