Freshwater Aquarium/Betta isn't seeing his food.

Hi my 1.5 year old betta is not seeing is food when I feed him. The only way he sees it is if I tap the water he comes up to it. Even then he just goes to my finger not the food sometimes. I know he is hungry because he "attacks" his food.
I have been feeding him mealworms, vitamins, and pellets.
He is in a 1.5 gallon bowl. Is he on the old end? If he is healthy does he want a mate? He goes through these stages of making bubble nests, then he stops, the he does it again once or twice a month.

Your Betta should be in a tank no smaller than 2.5 gallons. He also needs a heater that is set to 80 degrees at all times. If the water is any colder, he will start acting the way he is. He is not old at all and no he does not want a mate. He is just letting you know he is too cold.

Freshwater Aquarium

Jaymie Johnson

I can answer question regarding, raising, breeding, feeding and the general upkeep of Betta fish. I can answer general questions about isolating a disease and the treatment needed to help your Betta. I am knowledgeable in fresh water tanks and can answer any question regarding them. I cannot answer questions about salt water tanks.

I have had fresh water aquariums for most of my life, including the 23 years I served in the Marine Corps. I have been raising Betta's for some time now, and have ventured into breeding a few years back. I currently own 5 males and 4 females and I have about 200 almost 3 week old fry. I make my own filters and I have tried almost all the food on the market for fry and I know what has worked for me and what has not worked.

I do not have Betta related educational credentials, but I have educated myself in Betta care. I have read quite a few books and articles from both the internet and ones that I have purchased. I consider myself well educated in Betta care.