Freshwater Aquarium/Blue lobster

Question
blue lobster
blue lobster  
QUESTION: Hi Richard,
Can a lobster like the one in the pic be kept in a 30L tank with 2 zebra fish and a barb?its a homeless lobster that need a new place,if it does not attack the fish I want to help it.
Please advice.
Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Isuru

You should keep the Blue Lobster in a tank by itself. A Blue Lobster will kill and eat any fish it can catch. I would not put it in with your fish.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Richard

blue lobster
blue lobster  

tank
tank  
QUESTION: Hi Richard,
Thanks for the reply.I have attached two pictures of the lobster and the current set up.Is the water level enough?It sometimes rests on the steps above the water level but hasn't come out yet.And also it seems like it has lost it's color a bit.Is it a sickness?Hope you can get an idea from the photo.
Thanks a lot.

Isuru.

Answer
Well first, this is a lobster, not a turtle. He doesn't need a place to get out of the water. Next, the tank you provided him is probably the worst possible set up for him. He needs at least a 20 gallon tank with a cover, heater and a filter, an airstone to provide oxygen. He also needs sand and gravel as they like to burrow. Plants, caves and rocks would also be beneficial, they like to hide in caves and tunnels.

Here are a couple of links to help you properly care for your Blue Lobster

http://www.allabout-aquariumfish.com/2010/09/crayfish-info-how-to-care-what-to-f

http://ezinearticles.com/?All-About-Freshwater-Blue-Lobster&id=2978346

Hope this helps, good luck!

Richard

Freshwater Aquarium

Richard Hight