Freshwater Aquarium/Dragon fish

I purchased a dragon fish from Walmart and put him in my freshwater community aquarium cause the guy said it'd be fine. He's like jumping up out of the water!!!! What do I do? I read somewhere that they're saltwater but can also be freshwater... I'm just so confused and need help!
I live in a dorm at a boarding school and therefore can't go out and get any aquarium salt or anything like that. Is there ANYTHING I can do???

Hi Sara!

There are many different types of fish called Dragonfish. I'm assuming you bought an Arowana? The head is bony and the elongate body is covered by large, heavy scales, with a mosaic pattern of canals. The dorsal and the anal fins have soft rays and are long based, while the pectoral and ventral fins are small. If it is an Arowana, then don't worry. They are indeed freshwater. Arowanas are carnivorous, often being specialized surface feeders. They are excellent jumpers; it has been reported that they have been seen leaping more than 6 feet (almost 2 meters) from the water surface to pick off insects and birds from overhanging branches in South America, hence the nickname "water monkeys". Arowana species typically grow to around 2 to 3 feet in captivity. Check around the tank to see if there are bugs or things that look like bugs. Maybe that's why it has been jumping.  

Freshwater Aquarium

I can answer questions about betta, goldfish, aquatic snails, freshwater crustaceans, freshwater bottom feeders, and tropical fish. I have little knowledge on freshwater frogs/tadpoles. No saltwater fish/cichlids questions please! I do *NOT* know how to make Decor for tanks/aquariums. I can also help you if your fish is stress/sick and setting up an aquarium/fish bowl/tank/etc. I can also help you with disease/injuries/parasites/etc. I can also help you with compatibility of tropical aquatic animals.

I have 30+ years of experience with tropical fishes & bettas. If you have a question (sending a picture will help) just ask and I will reply as soon as possible!

I went to Stanford University (Graduated). Has a Masters Degree