Freshwater Aquarium/wet dry filter hose leak

Question
I just bought a used tank and wet/dry filter and I am setting it up.  I have everything set up and when filling the tank there is a leak where the o-ring attaches from the bottom of the aquarium.  This is where the hoses for water coming to the filter and going into the aquarium.  Can these attachments be sealed with silicone?  The hose doesn't leak where it attaches, the leak is on the bracket that comes thru the tank.

Answer
Hi Rhonda

I wouldn't seal it with silicone, it will be difficult to remove should you need to replace the filter, hoses etc. You should be able to buy replacement parts at any pet store. However, since you purchased the tank and equipment used, I would consider buying a new filter anyway. With used tank setups, you never know what problems and/or diseases the previous owner may have had with the tank.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Richard

Freshwater Aquarium

Richard Hight