Freshwater Aquarium/What kind of fish...

Hello. I recently got myself a 'Marineland Pillar' 6 gallon tank. My question for you is, the filter (it's a penguin biowheel) creates too strong of a current in the water, where, literally, the whole tanks worth of water is constantly moving. What kind of fish can I put in the tank that can/will live happily with an current that doesn't slow down and is always going?

Hi Rich

You should be able to adjust the flow of the filter by lifting up slightly on the intake tube. This will keep the return flow from being quite so strong.

As for fish that like a strong current, we have a problem. All of these fish are schooling fish and you don't really have room in a 6 gallon tank for a school of fish.

These include Rummynose Tetras, Zebra Danios, White Clouds, and Harlequin Rasboras. Each of these fish need to be in a group of at least 3, but preferably 5. You could get 3 of one kind then an Otocinclus Catfish for your bottom feeder. Oto Cats also like a strong current.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Freshwater Aquarium

Richard Hight

I own and maintain several freshwater aquariums from 2 to 180 gallon. I can answer most questions about freshwater aquariums, including setup, cycling, maintenance, compatible tank mates, feeding. Moving? I've moved fish both across town and across the country and can help you get your little aquatic friends to their new home safely. I know and have experience with most freshwater community fish, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids. I don't answer questions about Goldfish or keeping Goldfish with Tropical Fish. I also don't answer questions about keeping crustaceans (shrimp, snails, crabs etc) with Tropical Fish, nor questions about saltwater fish or aquariums. I'm not available to answer questions on weekends, this is when I do maintenance on my own tanks.

Many years of personal experience with community tank fish, semi-aggressive fish (Barbs, Tetras, etc), Angels, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids.

HSG 2010-2011 prof