Freshwater Aquarium/Changing water

How do I change the water for a 29 gallon fresh fish aquarium?  I read change the water, but never see instructions on how to change it.

Hi Darryl

The best way to do it is to purchase a water changing kit from your local pet store that will attach to your faucet. These come with detailed instructions on how to use it and a 25 foot hose. Extensions are available if your sink if farther than 25 feet from your tank. Make sure you add water conditioner to the tank before you add the fresh water.

If the above isn't an option, you can buy a gravel vac from your local pet store. It works like a siphon cleaning the gravel and removing the water. Siphon 25% of the water into a large bucket. After 25% of the water is removed, stop the siphon and use a large bucket full of clean water treated with a water conditioner to replace the water in the tank.

Here are a couple of links to help you with water changes

Hope this helps you, good luck!

Freshwater Aquarium

Richard Hight

I own and maintain several freshwater aquariums from 2 to 180 gallon. I can answer most questions about freshwater aquariums, including setup, cycling, maintenance, compatible tank mates, feeding. Moving? I've moved fish both across town and across the country and can help you get your little aquatic friends to their new home safely. I know and have experience with most freshwater community fish, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids. I don't answer questions about Goldfish or keeping Goldfish with Tropical Fish. I also don't answer questions about keeping crustaceans (shrimp, snails, crabs etc) with Tropical Fish, nor questions about saltwater fish or aquariums. I'm not available to answer questions on weekends, this is when I do maintenance on my own tanks.

Many years of personal experience with community tank fish, semi-aggressive fish (Barbs, Tetras, etc), Angels, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids.

HSG 2010-2011 prof