Freshwater Aquarium/tank placement

can a fish tank be placed in front of a window

Hi Glen

I would not advise placing a fish tank in front of a window or near an exterior door. It will cause serious algae growth in your tank, especially if the window receives direct sunlight. More importantly, it will be harder to control the temperature in the will be too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.

The best place for a fish tank is against an interior wall away from direct sunlight and temperature changes of windows and doors.

Hope this helps you, good luck!

Freshwater Aquarium

Richard Hight

I own and maintain several freshwater aquariums from 2 to 180 gallon. I can answer most questions about freshwater aquariums, including setup, cycling, maintenance, compatible tank mates, feeding. Moving? I've moved fish both across town and across the country and can help you get your little aquatic friends to their new home safely. I know and have experience with most freshwater community fish, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids. I don't answer questions about Goldfish or keeping Goldfish with Tropical Fish. I also don't answer questions about keeping crustaceans (shrimp, snails, crabs etc) with Tropical Fish, nor questions about saltwater fish or aquariums. I'm not available to answer questions on weekends, this is when I do maintenance on my own tanks.

Many years of personal experience with community tank fish, semi-aggressive fish (Barbs, Tetras, etc), Angels, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids.

HSG 2010-2011 prof