Freshwater Aquarium/Goldfish death

Hello. Recently, one of my two goldfish died a few days ago. The reason is unknown as they were healthy and had been living together for almost 3 years. The disappearance of the second fish seems to have affected my other fish. The other one is less active now, doesn't move very much around the tank, and often floats aimlessly in the water. The fish gets very excited when I come to feed it, but other times I have observed it staying still and exerting minimal energy. Do you have any ideas to solve this problem? We have introduced other goldfish into the tank before, but none lasted more than a few days, as they were killed by the other two fish. Should I try to add new species of fish or get a new tank with different surroundings? Is the fish somehow affected by losing its companion after so many years? Thanks for helping!

Goldfish are very social creatures by nature, and benefit greatly from company. It is quite possible that your fish is lonely. Goldfish need to be kept with ONLY other goldfish, and not mixed with any other species. You could try adding more goldfish to the tank and see if your surviving fish improves.

Freshwater Aquarium

Elizabeth Turbyfill

I am available to answer any questions regarding Betta fish and goldfish. I will be able to answer questions ranging from basic husbandry to health issues and more. I have a fair amount of knowledge regarding keeping freshwater fish in general as well, excluding cichlids. If you have any questions about species compatibility, maintenance, health issues, et cetera I can help. If there is a question that I do not know the answer to, I will look to reliable resources to find the answer.

I have kept numerous Betta fish and freshwater aquariums for several years, and have spent countless time researching them.

I am a member of a fish forum named Tropical Fish Keeping that I highly recommend to people who keep aquariums or just have complex questions that cannot be answered here.

I am currently attending East Tennessee State University for a bachelor's degree in Computer and Information Science.